My current WIP is Bloodroot and Bracken, a historical/paranormal novel set in 16th century Lancaster. My protagonists are Jane Allerdice (née Ask) and Thora Allerdice, Jane's daughter. Today Jane is going to be the character I focus on, though in future I might make another post like this for Thora.
- Jane's mother, Annabel, died not long after her sixth birthday. She thinks about her every day.
- She grew up with two older brothers, Matthew and David, and never understood why they were allowed to cut their hair and she was not. When she was seven she took matters into her own hands. By the time her father found her she'd already cut short half of her hair, and was left with a head of uneven tufts for weeks.
- Under the tutelage of her brothers, she learned how to throw a mean punch.
- She never goes to watch the executions on Gallows Hill, and she's unusual in that respect. When she was a child her father once took her to watch a hanging, to show her why their family didn't go, and for weeks afterwards she had nightmares about kicking legs and purpling faces. Some nights the person being hanged was her mother. Some nights she still has those nightmares.
- Her favourite flowers are forget-me-nots.